Mostly everyone would agree that the most important piece of jewelry that they’ve worn or will wear is their engagement/wedding ring. The cost of the engagement ring is not nearly as important as what the ring symbolizes in a marriage. It symbolizes love, commitment, and the promise that you give to your partner, which is “I do.” “To have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part,” a promise cherished for a lifetime.
Choosing the perfect engagement ring for your lady doesn’t have to be a daunting task if you’re equipped with the proper knowledge prior to making the purchase. Everyone knows that women are very particular when it comes to their engagement/wedding rings. So, we’ve created some extremely helpful tips to ensure that you pick a fabulous ring for your lady.
1. Establish a budget – Before stepping into a jewelry store, it is a must that you establish a budget. Even if you really like a particular ring, but can’t afford it, don’t even think of swiping it on your credit card. Otherwise, you will be left penniless after your wedding day. Consider all the other expenses you still have to pay for on the actual wedding day such as, attire, venue, florals, decorations, wedding planner, transportation, honeymoon etc…. If you can afford to go all out, by all means go all out! I personally love big fancy rings, but it’s not a good look if you can’t afford to pay your rent after you made the purchase, which is why it is extremely important to establish a budget. In my opinion, your engagement ring should be more meaningful than expensive.
2. Consider buying the rings together – if you do not want to get caught off guard when handing out your engagement ring to your woman, expecting her to like it, but instead she gives you a big frown or a very strange stare then considering buying your engagement rings together. Or you can take her to the local Jewelry store to watch her run wild and take special notes in your head of ring size and the styles of rings that she likes and then go back at a later date and choose a ring. This way you’ll have an idea as to what style of ring your Bride-To-Be Likes. I don’t like surprises, so if your Bride-To-Be is anything like me it’s best to take her to the store first, so you’ll get a general idea as to what styles she likes and dislikes without really allowing her to choose the specific ring. When choosing; however, consider buying an engagement ring in a set. This will save you effort and time, so you don’t have to choose a band for the wedding ceremony. Another advantage is that the engagement and wedding ring will be a perfect fit, and the styles will match each other perfectly.
However, if you intend to give the ring as a surprise without going into the jewelry store prior, make sure you know your partner’s ring size and what style ring they like, which will save you from having to make several trips back to the jewelry store. After you’ve found and purchased the perfect ring, you’ll need to find the perfect timing and the perfect place where you will hand out the engagement ring. We’ve helped to plan to plan successful marriage proposals, so we can definitely help you create a stunning proposal. Some of you are amazing planners and can do this without the help of a professional, so if that’s you, I’d recommend that you do whatever makes you happy from proposing in Paris at the Eiffel Tower, to something as simple as a candlelight to dinner with amazing views and a fascinating band serenading your lady. I mean really, the ideas are limitless as long as you make sure it’s personable and that you tap into all the fives senses when preparing for the perfect marriage proposal. I promise, it will be a memory of a lifetime!
3. Consider both of your lifestyles – style and the material of your engagement ring should well match your life style. Just think about it, if you like in a ghetto, would you want your lady walking in the neighborhood with a one carat diamond ring, knowing that any gangster can snatch it off? Or, if you and your partner play a lot of sports, a slimmer and rounded style ring with less stones is advisable. You wouldn’t want a piece of your gem loosed as you hit a ball or when your enjoying a nice swim in a oversized Olympic pool.
4. Consider your rings material – there are so many engagement ring styles to choose from, such as rose gold, platinum, white gold, gold and silver. Or, what your diamond cuts will be, such as pear shaped, ovals, marquise, round asscher, cushion, radiant diamond cuts, and more. If you really do not have any know-how, I’d suggest that you seek out the advice of the professionals. For instance, considering a platinum wedding ring can be advantageous as the material would last for a lifetime, but their original shine and luster may be hard to bring back after 15 to 20 years. Whereas for a gold wedding band, their shine and luster is easier to bring back, but it is a soft metal, after 15-20 years, you might have to submerge it again to gold as it is worn too thin.
5. Consider the maintenance – this is probably the last thing that crosses anyone’s mind when buying their engagement rings and bands. Not because their diamonds, or gold, or silver, they have no lifespan. They are not just good to buy and simply rubbing then in a lint cloth. There is more work involved to ensure that you’re maintaining a stunning ring. No worries, there are jewelry stores that provide a lifetime warranty. It can be a bit pricey, but it’s well worth the investment to keep the ring shinning and blinging.
Contrary to many notions, choosing your engagement ring is neither too easy nor too hard. Now that I’ve equipped you with some of the necessary components to picking a fabulous ring it should be a smoother process for you. Happy Ring Shopping!!!